Help with your Rent Payments

Housing Benefit is a Government scheme aimed at helping low income households pay their rent. You may be eligible for assistance depending on your income, the amount of rent you have to pay and who is living with you. You do not need to be receiving state benefits to submit a claim.

How to Apply for Housing Benefit

To make a claim for Housing Benefit, you will need to complete a Housing Benefit application form. You can request a form by contacting Aberdeenshire Council:

  • Telephone: 08456 08 01 49
  • Post: PO Box 18533, Inverurie, AB51 5WX

For more information or for assistance in completing a Housing Benefit application form please contact your Housing Officer who will be happy to help you. Alternatively you can contact the Housing Benefit Department at your local council office.

Remember that it is your responsibility to make sure that your claim form is complete and submitted on time with all the supporting documents required (e.g. bank statements or pay slips).

If you Receive Housing Benefit

You will be notified by Aberdeenshire Council how much Housing Benefit you are entitled to.

Depending on your circumstances, Housing Benefit may not cover your full rent charge. This is called part Housing Benefit entitlement and means that you will have to pay an amount towards your rent.

If you receive Housing Benefit it is your responsibility to notify both the Council and AHP of any changes in your circumstances which may affect your entitlement. You must also ensure that renewal forms are completed and returned promptly to the Council.