Whirlpool washing machine recall list
Whirlpool washing machine recall list: Hotpoint and Indesit models recalled after fire risk warning
About 20 per cent of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines since 2014 are affected by a fault that can cause the door locking system to overheat, creating the risk of a fire. Whirlpool explained, “When the heating element in the washing machine is activated, in very rare cases a component in the door lock system can overheat, which, depending on product features, can post a risk of fire.”
According to Whirlpool (owner of the two brands) 79 fires are thought to be attributed to the fault, which develops over time.
This is the full list of models affected by the recall:
· FML 742P UK Hotpoint · WMEUF 743G UK Hotpoint
· WMAOD 743G UK Hotpoint · WMEUF 743P UK Hotpoint
· WMAOD 743P UK Hotpoint · WMFG 741P UK Hotpoint
· WMAQB 721P UK.M Hotpoint · WMFG 741P UK.M Hotpoint
· WMAQC 641P UK.M Hotpoint · WMFUG 742 P UK.M Hotpoint
· WMAQC 741G UK Hotpoint · WMFUG 742G UK Hotpoint
· WMAQC 741P UK Hotpoint · WMFUG 742P UK Hotpoint
· WMAQC 741P UK.M Hotpoint · WMFUG 842P UK.M Hotpoint
· WMAQF 621G UK Hotpoint · WMJLF 842P UK Hotpoint
· WMAQF 621P UK Hotpoint · WMJLL 742P UK Hotpoint
· WMAQF 641 P UK.M Hotpoint · WMSAQG 621P UK Hotpoint
· WMAQF 721G UK Hotpoint · WMXTF 742G UK Hotpoint
· WMAQF 721P UK.M Hotpoint · WMXTF 742K UK Hotpoint
· WMAQL 621G UK Hotpoint · WMXTF 742P UK Hotpoint
· WMBF 742G UK Hotpoint · WMXTF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
· WMBF 742K UK Hotpoint · WMXTF 842P UK.M Hotpoint
· WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint · WMYL 7151PS UK Hotpoint
· WMBF 742P UK.M Hotpoint · XWA 81252X K UK Indesit
· WMBF 763P UK Hotpoint · XWA 81252X W UK Indesit
· WMEF 722 BC UK Hotpoint · XWD 71452X K UK Indesit
· WMEF 742 P UK Hotpoint · WMEUF 722P UK Hotpoint
What to do if you think you own an affected washing machine
Whirlpool has created a model checker website to allow customers to see if their appliance is affected. Customers who bought a Hotpoint or Indesit washing machine after October 2014 would need to enter the model and serial number of their appliances to see if it was one of the recalled models. The model and serial number can be found inside the door or the back.
Alternatively, there is a free Whirlpool helpline that you can reach on 0800 316 1442.
If it turns out you do have an affected appliance, Whirlpool says that it should be unplugged and should not be used until it has been repaired by a trained engineer. As an alternative, those affected will also be offered a safe replacement.
However, the repair or replacement process will not begin until early January 2020 at the earliest. Whirlpool stated that owners could still use their machine, despite the potential danger, and instead use it on a cold wash cycle at 20C or less, which reduces the risk. A cold cycle means that the heating element would not be activated.
For more articles please visit our News and Events section.